Saturday, July 10, 2010

Yes, I know I missed Thursday...twice

It seems like Thursdays are getting busier...Working 12 hectic hours or so at my day job doesn't leave much time for blogging! This is the plan view of what our site will look like when it is done. All the squiggly lines running across this picture are going to be tidal ditches that will irrigate the wetlands that we are building over our 240 acre site.



This is a fly-over photo of the first one we worked on. This was taken June 10th. To give you an idea of the size of this project, and each channel, that little road on the left-hand side is the New Jersey Turnpike. The tan colored areas are what are known as Phragmites. They are an invasive species and tend to take over everywhere they can. On this site, they have sprayed them, mowed them, and mulched them, and are trying to beat them back so our new plants can get a foothold. Our subcontractor is going to plant thousands and thousands of other species to enhance the biodiveristy of the site after we finish excavation and grading of all the dirt we dig out. Their crew are some planting fools, let me tell you! The big squiggly channel on the right is a mostly natural creek on the site. (If you were standing on the date stamp in the top photo, this is what you would see if you looked to your left, just to give you some orientation.)



I don't have any more recent flyovers, but this is the same map as above, and the red squigglies are the channels that are completed. I can't wait for the new flyover photos. It's going to look super cool!!


Alot of the work my company does is environmental cleanup, and generally happens underground, or it all gets buried, and we never see it again. It's nice to be able to see what we have done for a change.

Also, on a serious note, please keep moonlitfantaseas 's father in your thoughts. He is ailing, and they both could use all the thoughts, prayers, hugs, and support they can get right now. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I know I took it hard. He's been in remission for 2 years now, but I still remember that fear of losing him like it was yesterday.

As far as beadwork goes, I have two pieces nearly complete, one inspired by the marsh and one inspired by reaching into my travel bead box and pulling out a random tube of beads. I hope to finish them this weekend, and also get in some studying for my professional engineer's licensing exam. Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment