Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blackbird singing in the dead of night...


This piece was inspired by the ever-popular-on-the-swamp red winged blackbird

I incorporated the bright red 11/0s and yellow Delicas into a Dutch spiral offset by matte black 15/0s. I originaly thought to use opaque red and yellow, but in the end, the piece started to look too Crayola (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it wasn't how I wanted this piece to turn out.)



I used a lava rock flat round bead as a focal, and peyote stitched it into place.



I also added a few lava rounds, spaced by beaded spacers and "red velvet" faceted round crystals. These beads are amazing. They have this awesome depth of color, almost like blood-like. I hearts them lots.



I strung all my components on Tiger Tail, and added a bead and loop closure. I learned something from this piece-Don't mix two vastly different types of beading thread in a single segment. Seriously, self, if you can't remember what you did with the Fireline, go buy a new one and dont switch to Nymo mid beaded thing...That was a few hours of fixing I'll never get back :/


As always, my cell phone photos don't do much for the piece...Seriously, why is it so difficult to photograph a matte black bead in semi-incandescent light with a cell phone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment