Tuesday, December 7, 2010

X

Number 10! Woohoo! Officially into the double digits now :)

I am really proud of number ten. I hope, I think, I know that when this baby goes on someone's tree, it is going to reflect some MONSTER light!

I am trying to find patterns that bezel rivolis and end up with a nice flat back so they lay nicely on the ornament. I started this one with a pendant pattern from Smadars Treasure I was looking for ways to use the new long magatama beads and this pattern seemed perfect. I got the front of the pendant finished, but found that once the back half was finished, it was a bit too bulky. Off the back came, resulting in what you see below

I used 14mm rivolis in AB olivine, Japanese 11/0s in silverlined green and purple transparent, Japanese 15/0s in dark silver/light gunmetal, dark amethyst 3mm Swarovski bicones, AB olivine 4mm Swarovski bicones, 8/0 Japanese seed beads in black and silver, and long magatamas in a deep forest green

This is a startlingly easy pattern, with breathtaking results. I highly recommend a visit to her shop . It is difficult to determine which way the magatamas should be picked up though. Nothing to do with the pattern, they are just a pain in the hiney. My mantra became boat 8 hoof 11 11 boat 8 hoof 11 11...


I adapted the pattern to make a collar for the ornament, then started working in netting down to a point where I could attach the medallions. I then made a bottom netted cap and connected with 11/0s, 8/0s, 3mm crystals and 4 mm crystals.


I got it all done and ready to photograph when this happened! DOH! I think I trimmed a thread that wasn't ready to be trimmed yet, as in wasn't woven in. Ah well, I get to play with this beauty for a little while longer before it goes into the "to gift" pile.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! I love that you are branching out using the focals! you have so much more patience that I do(for ornaments at least)LOL

    ReplyDelete